In These New Times

A new paradigm for a post-imperial world

Posts Tagged ‘The Coulson Affair’

New moves by British parliament to shield the Murdochs

Posted by seumasach on July 31, 2011

Robert Stephens

WSWS

30th July, 2011

On Friday, members of Parliament’s Commons Culture Select Committee voted against recalling News Corporation Chairman James Murdoch to give more evidence on phone hacking and police corruption. Labour MP Tom Watson had called on Murdoch, the son of international media mogul Rupert Murdoch, and two ex-News of the World executives, former editor Colin Myler and the newspaper’s ex-legal manager Tom Crone, to appear.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

UK media finds reporter’s death unsuspicious

Posted by seumasach on July 24, 2011

British media quick to dismiss death in Murdoch phone hacking case

Robert Stephens

WSWS

23rd July, 2011

In an article posted July 20, the World Socialist Web Site noted the rush to judgement by the Hertfordshire Police in the UK, who issued an extraordinary statement declaring the death of former News of the World reporter Sean Hoare to be “unexplained but not thought to be suspicious”. This statement was made just hours after police arrived at Hoare’s home to discover his body and before a post-mortem had been conducted.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

‘British Democracy Is a Farce’

Posted by seumasach on July 14, 2011

 

“There is more rotten in the state of Great Britain than is dreamt of in our philosophy”

Spiegel

14th July, 2011

As the News of the World phone hacking scandal continues to unfold, there are indications that it extends beyond the press to the police and even the government. German papers on Thursday write that the situation reveals grave problems within Britain’s democratic system.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | 1 Comment »

Murdoch press role in Menezes affair

Posted by seumasach on July 14, 2011

Guardian

14th July, 2011

Phone hacking: Glenn Mulcaire had Menezes cousin’s number

Detectives have told a cousin of Jean Charles de Menezes that his number was found among documents belonging to the News of the World private investigator at the centre of the phone-hacking scandal.

Relatives and campaigners in the case of Menezes – a Brazilian shot dead by police marksmen at Stockwell tube station in 2005 – now fear they may also have been targeted by the investigator Glenn Mulcaire.

Yasmin Khan, a spokeswoman for the Justice4Jean campaign, told the Guardian they had just discovered that Mulcaire’s list included the phone number of Jean Charles’s cousin Alex Pereira.

“We were told yesterday,” she said. “We approached police last week and they got back to us yesterday with Alex’s number and told us to submit the numbers of family members and members of the campaign.

“The Menezes family are deeply pained to find their phones may have been hacked at a time at which they were at their most vulnerable and bereaved. They are bewildered as to why the police did not approach them with this information earlier, and fear the police may be attempting to cover up their own wrongdoing once more relating to this case”.

The family has written to the prime minister asking him to extend the remit of the phone-hacking inquiry to establish whether police officers involved in the Menezes investigation were leaking information to the press — either for financial benefit or to prop up the reputation of Scotland Yard.

The letter takes particular issue with the relationship between Andy Hayman – the former assistant commissioner who ran the first phone-hacking inquiry – and News International. Since leaving the police Hayman has written for the Times, which is owned by NI.

“In the Independent Police Complaints Commission’s Stockwell 2 investigation the practice of police off-the-record briefings to the media was scrutinised,” the letter notes, “and the IPCC found that Andy Hayman had deliberately ‘misled the public’ over claims the person who had been shot dead by the police on 22 July 2005 was one of the four men who were being sought in connection with the attempted bombings of the previous day.

“Recent coverage of the police’s role in investigating allegations of phone hacking, including Mr Hayman’s evidence to the home affairs select committee, have highlighted his close relationship with News International, including potential financial links. We are conscious that the newspapers owned by News International provided some of the most virulent and often misleading coverage around Jean’s death and its aftermath.”

The letter was also sent to Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband and Keith Vaz, chairman of the home affairs select committee. It concludes: “Considering what is now known about Andy Hayman’s relationship with News International we would like the inquiry into this scandal to extend its remit to scrutinise whether police officers involved in the Menezes investigation were leaking information to the press, either for financial benefit or in a vain effort to deflect criticism from the actions of the Metropolitan police which had led to Jean’s death.

“These issues are of extreme importance to our family, whilst the accountability of the police and how politically sensitive criminal investigations are reported in the media are clearly a matter of public interest. We hope you will take these issues forward on our behalf.”

The sixth anniversary of De Menezes’s death is next week.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: , , | Leave a Comment »

Phone hacking: axe murder detective to sue

Posted by seumasach on July 13, 2011

Telegraph

13th July, 2011

David Cook is considering legal action against News Group Newspapers, a subsidiary of News International, for making him a target as he investigated the death of Daniel Morgan, who was found with an axe embedded in his head in a car park in south London in 1987.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

News of the World accused of paying police to track stars’ phones

Posted by seumasach on July 12, 2011

“However real-time pinging requires access to the phone network’s data stream, and is generally only used in terrorist cases or serious criminal investigations.”

The abduction and killing of Milly Dowler was a serious criminal investigation: her phone was still switched on after she disappeared and the NoW was hacking it to delete E-mails for reasons yet to be explained. Why wasn’t the police investigation, or , indeed, NoW, not pinging in order to locate the missing girl or her abductor or her mobile phone?

Guardian

12th July, 2011

Senior journalists at the News of the World paid police officers to find celebrities or other people they wanted to write about by tracking their mobile phone signal, it was reported on Tuesday.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: , | Leave a Comment »

Coulson arrested

Posted by seumasach on July 9, 2011

Former top aide to British prime minister arrested in Murdoch hacking scandal

Julie Hyland

WSWS

9th July, 2011

Yesterday morning, Andy Coulson, British Prime Minister David Cameron’s former director of communications and a former editor of Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World, was arrested. He was released on police bail later that day after being questioned over phone hacking and bribes paid to police officers by the tabloid newspaper.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Another murder case linked to illegal phone hacking

Posted by seumasach on July 7, 2011

In this case the prosecution claimed that messages which Campbell claimed had been sent to him by Danielle Jones could not have been sent by her and that Campbell must have himself sent them and been in posession of her phone. That claim can no longer stand if others had access to the phone.

Independent

7th July, 2011

The investigation into the death of Essex teenager Danielle Jones could be re-examined after the inquiry into the voicemail hacking scandal found that mobile phones linked to her may have been targeted by a private investigator working for the News of the World.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

News of the World phone hacking scandal crisis escalates

Posted by seumasach on July 7, 2011

Paul Bond

WSWS

7th July, 2011

The disclosure that an investigator working for the News of the World may have hacked the mobile phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler has intensified the political crisis surrounding the hacking scandal.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: , | Leave a Comment »

Ex-UK MP rejects phone hacking cash

Posted by seumasach on March 3, 2011

PressTV

3rd March, 2011

Former Glasgow MP, George Galloway, who is also a founding member of the Respect Party, said he “wants his day in court” with News International over his breach of privacy claim.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Murdoch’s News of the World phone hacking forces resignation of Andy Coulson

Posted by seumasach on January 27, 2011

Dave Hyland

WSWS

26th January, 2011

Last week, it was announced that Andy Coulson had resigned from his job as Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron’s director of communications. His departure is a result of the latest revelations in the scandal swirling around the growing number of News of the World phone hacking court cases.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: